Friday, April 20, 2007

Just shoot me now...

...with something good liiiiiiiike...morphine?

I think I will call the doctor after school is out to see if he will need to see me to give a prescription for an inhaler. I'm not sure how picky they will be or if they will want their $20 pound of monetary flesh. I hope not. You never know how much you take something simple like breathing for granted until it becomes painful to do it.

I think I have figured out a way for youse peoples to be emailed when I blog. To the right of the blogs is a window for putting in your email address. When you click on the button below it, a window pops up and you have to prove you are human by putting in the letters and numbers as shown. We'll see how it works. I tried to do some research on the company to see if anyone was complaining they got spam from them but couldn't find anything about it.

We were working on Parallelism the other day and I was using King's "I have a dream" speech as an example. I then had the students write their own version of a speech where they used the phrase as many times as he did (9 times). I thought about doing my own version of it for a blog entry but, honestly, it started sounding too mushy or too sloppy and I couldn't get past the first two or three. I will, however, comment on dreams.

A DREAM DEFERRED

By
Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?
I always think of this poem when talking about dreams. It is always important to dream. I often joke about being a sometimes visitor to reality but I don't live here. Those who know me realize this is not much of an exaggeration. One of the excuses I use for this habit of being in other worlds than this one is related to this subject.
It kind of comes down to "the more you know, the more you wished you didn't know." Being an insatiably curious individual and an observer of the "human condition," I have seen lots of things and lots of situations. Humanity is capable of tremendous things that awe and inspire but the other side of the coin is just as depraved and depressing. I cherry pick my way through reality as we know it to take what I want of it and leave the rest so that my ability to dream doesn't die.
I think that might be part of what happened to my dad. He was pretty much stuck in this reality because he hated to read and, although he loved movies, tended to stick with reality. When it became too much for him, he retreated into his head and hence the paranoia and such until he got medication for it.
What I am describing in myself is not unique or unusual. Most of us do this to one degree or another but I am me and therefore everything is more pompous and grand than for anyone else (yes, I said it before someone else did ;)! So dreams are very important and necessary. Without them, we would all just curl up in a fetal position and die or wish to...which brings me back to where I began this thing except my problem is just chest pains from allergies.
Until next time...
Opus

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

I hope you soon breathe freely!!! I thought this was the worst place for allergies, not clean Utah.

Apparently I don't live in reality, either. I sometimes find myself at work imagining that I am just a kid playing office. Don't tell my boss.

Without a dream of what my house could be SOMEDAY, I think I would just raze the darn thing or let a candle loose or something. What a cluttered wreck. But I do have my dream, at least for some of it.

May your best dreams come true!

Erin said...

Psh. Your blog is boring. ;)

Why don't you tell us about your new job??

Where I whimsically get to, need to, want to - might - put down some serious, silly, salient thoughts...or not.